KATARINA THORSEN: CREATIVE ENGAGEMENT FACILITATOR
- Katarina (Kat) Thorsen, is an artist, writer, creative engagement facilitator and craftivist passionate in her belief that art can heal and build connections. She specializes in arts-based programming for all ages, specializing in engaging vulnerable populations. She is currently the Program Director at Intersections Media Opportunities for Youth Society, an associate of the Centre for Restorative Justice at Simon Fraser University and the co-founder of Empower YOUth.
- The heart of Kat’s work is visual storytelling, restorative practices, whole brain engagement and facilitation. Her interactive art events and street art encourage participants to become part of the creative process. Kat’s own artwork can be found in private collections in North America and Europe. A writer, illustrator and researcher, she published her first book, Drawn Together- Maintaining Connections and Navigating Life’s Challenges with Art, in 2013. Her current passion project is a true crime analysis in the form of a graphic novel and a television series.
- Born in Sweden, she is deeply grateful to live, work and play on the unceded traditional territories of the Coast Salish peoples of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), Səl̓ílwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
- Woman of Worth Award 2014: Humanitarian of the Year
- City of North Vancouver 2010 Civic Youth Award: Outstanding Supporter of Youth.
- Curriculum Vitae: available upon request
Creative Engagement and Therapeutic Art Clients and Collaborators include (but are not limited to):
School districts: North Vancouver, Burnaby, Vancouver, Coquitlam, Sunshine Coast
Schools: Mountainside Secondary, Keith Lynn Alternative Secondary, Alpha Secondary, Byrne Creek Secondary, Strathcona Elementary, West Pointe Grey Academy, Roberts Creek Elementary, Elphinstone Secondary, Kwayhquitlum Middle School, Minnekhada Middle School. L’Ecole Maillard Middle School, Small Talk Preschool for Language Disorders, Bayview Community School, SelfDesign Home Schooling, Rhodes Wellness College, Stenberg College, Simon Fraser University, University of British Columbia
Youth Programs: Canucks Autism Network, HELP Street Youth, The Foundry, Intensive Youth Outreach Services, Hollyburn Family Services, Frames Film Project, Drive Youth Employment Services, Intersections Media Opportunities for Youth Society, Burnaby Neighborhood House, Burnaby Youth Custody Centre, Pacific Community Resource Society, Passion to Lead, Strathcona Community Centre, YouthCO
Restorative Justice Programs: North Shore Restorative Justice, Punky Lake Wilderness Society, Shaking the Movers, Centre for Restorative Justice, Circles of Support and Accountability
As well as: City of Surrey, City of Vancouver, viaSPORT, NGU Consultants, Spruce Harbour Marina, Tapestry Retirement Living, Pacific Arbour Retirement Communities, Hawthorne Memory Care, Evergreen Extended Care, Concert Properties, Leisure Care Canada, Vancouver Coastal Health, Bayshore Home Health Care, Beauty Night Society, Friends for Life, Canuck Place Children’s Hospice, Operation Sock Monkey, DIVERSEcity, Place des Arts, Tri-Cities Overdose Community Action Team
DISCLAIMER: Katarina Thorsen, BSc (1984, University of British Columbia) is not a board-certified art therapist but a creative engagement facilitator. Katarina has over 30+ years of frontline experience with vulnerable populations, facilitating artistic expression in one-on-one and group settings.