KATARINA THORSEN: VISUAL ARTIST, CREATIVE ENGAGEMENT FACILITATOR
- Katarina Thorsen is a visual artist, writer, creative engagement facilitator and craftivist, passionate in her belief that art can heal and build connections. The heart of her work is visual storytelling, restorative practices, whole brain engagement and facilitation. Katarina’s artwork can be found in private collections in North America and Europe. Her interactive art events and street art encourage participants to become part of the creative process. As writer, illustrator and researcher, Katarina published her first book, Drawn Together – Maintaining Connections and Navigating Life’s Challenges with Art, in 2013. Her main current project is a graphic novel series, Joseph – a true story and family saga based in Vancouver BC.
- Born in Sweden, Katarina is deeply grateful to live, work and play on the unceded traditional territories of the Coast Salish peoples of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), Səl̓ílwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
- 2021 The Yosef Wosk Publication Fund at Vancouver Heritage Foundation: Recipient
- 2014 Woman of Worth Award: Humanitarian of the Year
- 2010 City of North Vancouver Civic Youth Award: Outstanding Supporter of Youth
- CONTACT: email@example.com
Creative Engagement and Therapeutic Art Clients and Collaborators include (but are not limited to):
School districts: North Vancouver, Burnaby, Vancouver, Coquitlam, Sunshine Coast, Vancouver Island
Schools: Mountainside Secondary, Keith Lynn Alternative Secondary, Alpha Secondary, Byrne Creek Secondary, Strathcona Elementary, West Pointe Grey Academy, Roberts Creek Elementary, Elphinstone Secondary, Kwayhquitlum Middle School, Minnekhada Middle School. L’Ecole Maillard Middle School, Hillcrest Middle School, L’Ecole Moody Middle School of the Arts, Small Talk Preschool for Language Disorders, Bayview Community School, SelfDesign Home Schooling, Rhodes Wellness College, Stenberg College, Simon Fraser University, University of British Columbia
Youth Programs: Canucks Autism Network, HELP Street Youth, The Foundry, Intensive Youth Outreach Services, Hollyburn Family Services, Frames Film Project, Drive Youth Employment Services, Intersections Media Opportunities for Youth Society, Burnaby Neighborhood House, Burnaby Youth Custody Centre, Pacific Community Resource Society, Passion to Lead, Strathcona Community Centre, YouthCO
Restorative Justice Programs: North Shore Restorative Justice, Punky Lake Wilderness Society, Shaking the Movers, Centre for Restorative Justice, Circles of Support and Accountability
As well as: City of Surrey, City of Vancouver, viaSPORT, NGU Consultants, Spruce Harbour Marina, Tapestry Retirement Living, Pacific Arbour Retirement Communities, Hawthorne Memory Care, Evergreen Extended Care, Concert Properties, Leisure Care Canada, Vancouver Coastal Health, Bayshore Home Health Care, Beauty Night Society, Friends for Life, Canuck Place Children’s Hospice, Operation Sock Monkey, DIVERSEcity, Place des Arts, Tri-Cities Overdose Community Action Team, Solid State Community Industries
DISCLAIMER: Katarina Thorsen, BSc (1984, University of British Columbia) is not a board-certified art therapist but a creative engagement facilitator. Katarina has over 30+ years of frontline experience with vulnerable populations, facilitating artistic expression in one-on-one and group settings.