CURRENTLY PLANNING NEXT STEPS AS I CONTINUE FUNDRAISING FOR
the Operation Sock Monkey Handbook
for youth groups, schools and community organizations
GENERAL STRUCTURE FOR WORKBOOK:
IMPORTANCE OF TEACHING LIFE SKILLS [Source: Healing the Inner City Child]
“Life skills” are defined as psychosocial abilities for adaptive and positive behavior that enable individuals to deal effectively with the demands and challenges of everyday life. Life skills generally include 3 broad categories of skills:
• cognitive skills for analyzing and using information
• personal skills for developing personal agency and managing oneself, and
• inter-personal skills for communicating and interacting effectively with others.
During a successfully implemented creative arts program, participants generally:
- Engage in the program from beginning to end.
- Respond without physical or verbal aggression.
- Communicate effectively with instructors and peers.
- Cooperate with others in the group.
- Demonstrate ability to accept redirection.
- Demonstrate ability to share and take turns.
- Demonstrate appropriate use of equipment.
- Respect personal boundaries of peers and adults.
- Demonstrate creative solutions for problem solving.
- Demonstrate initiative and leadership skills.
REVIEW OF LIFE SKILLS/ EMPLOYMENT SKILLS TO BE ADDRESSED IN CURRICULUM IN A USER-FRIENDLY, REPLICABLE WAY:
- Learning and Problem Solving Skills, including: listening to understand and learn; reading, comprehending and using written materials; thinking critically and acting logically to evaluate situations, solve problems and make decisions; learning to access and apply specialized knowledge from various fields; and continuing to learn for life.
- Social Skills, such as: anger management; resolving conflict; addressing attachment, connection, peer awareness; working well with others; and developing a positive self-image.
- Personal Management Skills, including: creating a budget; money management; ; managing stress; and managing time.
- Development of Positive Attitudes and Behaviors, including: self-esteem and confidence; honesty, integrity and personal ethics; a positive attitude toward learning, growth and personal health; and initiative, energy, and persistence to get the job done.
- Personal Responsibility, including: the ability to set goals and priorities in work and personal life; the ability to plan and achieve goals; accountability for actions taken; adaptability; a positive attitude toward change; and the ability to identify and suggest new ideas to get the job done–creatively.
- Teamwork Skills, including: understanding and contributing to an organization’s goals; understanding and working within the culture of the group; planning and making decisions with others and supporting the outcomes; respecting the thoughts and opinions of others in a group; exercising “give and take” to achieve group results; leading where appropriate; and mobilizing the group for high performance.
- Project Management, including: project planning; group management; client relationship building; social media management; product photography; advertising; documentation; supply management; project execution; project delivery and project evaluation.
For more info go to:
Writer, illustrator KAT THORSEN
MISSION: To awaken creative expression
VISION: To develop global art initiatives
MANTRA: I am an artist