Fabulous afternoon at VanCaf Day 1- the Vancouver Comic Arts Festival on May 23, 2015!
I have broken down some highlights from my visit into 6 blog posts:
6. Erica Moen, Boumeries and VanCaf takeaways/notes
The only problem with my visit to VanCaf was that my visit was too short and my budget too low.
But I learned so much from all the artists and my daughter and I made some great notes regarding tips around my own work and what I hope to be a future table at VanCaf.
TAKE AWAYS/ TIPS/ NOTES:
1. Point of purchase- clear signage
3. iPad email signup
4. Portrait offer (limited to 20)- then release some more offers
5. Secret code/password
6. Quality publication. Tight presentation
9. Small broadsheet release as sneak peek
10. Multiple price points
11. Never leave booth empty
12. Elevator pitch
12. Engaging product
13. Thematic booth
15. Talk to people
16. Question whether or not to show original art work panels- leave something to mystery.
17. Not t-shirts or clothing
18. Get the right reps (the 6 second/13 second rule)
19. Not too much product
20. Have an “everything for $…” deal
21. Research/question ComicCon/Fan Expo attendees/friends- what draws you to a new artist?
And so, I end my VanCaf 2015 posts with two new favorites.
I was encouraged to search out Erica Moen and Boumeries by my son and his group of friends. I am just getting to know the work of these two- so my post about them is limited- but from what I have seen so far, I am HOOKED! They both share the ability to be transparent, honest and funny as hell. Gorgeous slick artwork on both parts- filled with the raw joy of REAL LIFE.